Transfer to Oglethorpe
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5+
- In good academic and social standing at prior institutions attended
- Completed application
- Personal Statement
- Application fee
- Official transcripts from each college attended
- If fewer than 24 semester credit hours have been completed, official high school transcript. Test scores (SAT or ACT) may also be submitted, but are optional.
- Optional recommendation from an instructor or counselor
There is no limit to the number of credit hours a student may transfer to Oglethorpe University, however a minimum of 32 credit hours and 50% of coursework for the student’s chosen major must be completed at Oglethorpe University.
Once admitted, a preliminary evaluation will be provided. This unofficial evaluation provides the student with an idea of what to expect with regard to transfer credits and course equivalencies. An official credit-for-credit course equivalency report will be completed one the student commits to attending Oglethorpe.
All admitted transfer students are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships starting at $19,000.
- Applicants who are members of Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) are eligible to receive a $2,000 annual renewable scholarship. PTK officers are eligible for an additional $1,000 annual renewable scholarship!
- Additional grants are available based on eligibility and financial need as determined by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All Oglethorpe students receive a $500 grant just for completing the FAFSA each year.
- Learn about all of your financial aid opportunities.
Yes. Oglethorpe grants transfer credit for Advanced Placement scores with a minimum score of 4 or 5, depending on the course. Official AP test scores from the College Board must be submitted to the admission office before credit is awarded. See here for all AP score transfer equivalencies.
Transfer applicants are evaluated on a rolling admissions basis, however we encourage students to apply early for best course choice. Registration begins in April for the fall semester, and November for the spring semester.
Core Equivalencies for Transfer Students
Oglethorpe has a unique general education program, the Core. There are no “exemptions” from the Core, but transfer students may be eligible to be exempt from some Core requirements based on courses and credit hours completed. All transfer students will complete some Core courses while enrolled at Oglethorpe.
Transfer Work under Articulation Agreements
Oglethorpe offers the opportunity to transfer work through collaborative efforts with other institutions by way of Articulation Agreements.
Office of Admission